Monday 14 October 2013

Daddy’s Little Boy

I got up today at 11 AM, ecstatic about the fact that I had a holiday on a Monday. My day started with the usual skimming of today’s newspapers, but what was different was that I picked up the Bombay Times newspaper – something that I never do usually. I regretted it instantly.

I stumbled upon a page-long article written about Priyanka Chopra’s little tattoo on her wrist. I must admit, it was a relatively long article for something that small (no pun intended). Hats off to the enriching, rewarding, informative and productive literature churned out by these no nonsense writers. That too on a daily basis. Respect, ladies! (I am sure that they are female writers).

Anyways, enough of the potshots. I happened to notice the tattoo which had three words – ‘Daddy’s Little Girl’ written in fancy calligraphy. Also, here are some excerpts of the article – ‘…my Dad loved me so much, I was his princess…’ and a few, actually many, paragraphs later, I read this – ‘…I just had to name it, and my Dad bought it for me the very next day…’

This immediately took me back to a conversation I had with a friend not so long ago. This particular individual was cribbing about her long-standing need for a new phone, and to indeed buy the newly launched iPhone 5S right away. I brought to her attention, the ridiculous Rs. 82,000 retail grey market price, to which she simply said – “No it’s okay, my Dad will simply buy it for me. I’m Daddy’s little girl.”

Okay, A – She’s nowhere near a ‘little girl’. She’s 20; and B – is it that simple? Do they just have to, ask?

I convinced myself that in fact it is, and I could feel the belief and confidence grow within me as I approached my Dad to ‘ask’ for something I wanted to buy since quite some time. I asked confidently, “Dad, what’s up? I’m thinking we need to buy the XYZ product for home. What say? When do we buy?” I swear to God, I got trolled massively by my Dad, that too with minimal effort from his side.

My Dad, who is always as cool as a cucumber, replied swiftly, “Yeah sure. Sounds like a great idea! You’re earning well nowadays through your job and your website. Buy it yourself :)” Yeah, he even had that smile on his face. Troll level: One bijillion.

However, this trolling session got me thinking. How is it that we guys have it so tough? Yes, I understand the ‘men-are-the-bread-earners’ and other archaic beliefs of this country, I also understand that my Dad is just toughening me up and preparing me well to look after myself. But this iPhone incident with my friend is taking things to another level altogether. All this individual has to do, is just ask for it! Our work only begins from there, and then comes the hard part! I now understand that this is what girls mean when they say “I’m lucky to be a girl.” I totally see where they are coming from.

Anyways, coming back. Solely for the comic purpose, I can’t help but visualize an overly pampered male equivalent to my friend. He goes up to Daddy dearest and says, “Daddy, I want to buy the XYZ product,” while acting adorable and cute, and getting a “Yes sure, my lovely son. Let’s go buy it right away :)” as a reply. This smile was real, by the way.

It just doesn’t happen. It is probably as rare as Bombay Times publishing some informative and intellectual content, and not a page long article about Priyanka Chopra’s tattoo.

Speaking of Priyanka Chopra and her tattoo, I know it might be a losing battle, but it won’t hurt in trying to visualize a male being featured in Bombay Times, talking about his doting father. Perhaps he too has a tattoo, maybe saying ‘Daddy’s Little Boy’?

No comments:

Post a Comment