Wednesday 26 December 2012

When Celebration becomes a Compulsion



It is that time of the year again. That blissful time when we bid farewell to the year that went by and usher in a new year. We reflect at the 12 months that flew by us, and make forecasts about the year that lies ahead.


Oh, and not to forget, we also make the super-hyped so-called ‘New Year’s Resolution’. New Year Resolutions are indispensable now. Everyone makes them. It has somewhat become a ritual now. However, The New Year’s Resolution can safely be compared to a Chinese electronic gadget – No fixed lifespan & no guarantees.

I made a resolution on 1st January 2012 too - The resolution of not drinking alcohol for an entire year. I think I did pretty darn well to stick by it for a good 10 months. For starters, I didn’t expect myself to get past January. I went on till early November. Though I didn’t quite make it to the finishing line, this was a giant leap forward. So I am proud of that.

Anyways, coming back to my point. As we enter mid December, we just have one thing on our minds – the plan for New Year’s. We start learning about the mega commercial parties taking place at several top venues via Twitter or Facebook. Even the tiniest of bars/lounges/ restaurants mushrooming in different parts of town make themselves heard with their New Year parties.

These extensive advertisements coincide with the change of topic of conversation amongst people. ‘Hi, how are you?’ is replaced by ‘Yo, what scene for New Year’s?’ as question number 1 in a social interaction in the latter stages of this month. Everyone is making a plan for 31st night. Seeing these recent developments all around me, I dare to go against the norm and ask myself a question – ‘What will happen if I don’t celebrate New Year’s?’

Sadly, we have reached a certain junction in our social life where not celebrating is not an option anymore. ‘Sitting at home watching TV’ simply does not feature on the list of ‘Things to do for New Year’s’.

Having said that, I also feel that one is at risk of turning into a social pariah if he/she welcomes the New Year at home. Also, when the entire buzz of New Year dies down, friends often meet in early January and engage into a competitive comparison based on who had a better party. If Boy 1 says “My party lasted till 3 AM where I had 5 pegs of Absolut vodka,” to which Boy 2 replies “My party was on till 5 AM and I had 6 pegs of Greygoose,” the other friends listening to the conversation start thinking – ‘longer lasting party, and better booze’, hence they deduce that Boy 2 is the ‘winner’, i-e, he had a better New Year’s. A hapless Guy 3, who ate home-made food at 11 PM and watched TV when the clock struck 12 does not even dare open his mouth, because he now knows that spending 31st at home is passé.

So now that brings me to this question – ‘What will I finally do on the 31st of December?’

Even as I write this piece, I receive a WhatsApp message from a friend. She asks me ‘Yo, what scene for New Year’s?’ (Without a preceding ‘Hi, how are you?’)

I start typing a reply – ‘Hey, nothing as of now, I think I’ll stay at home this year…’ Before sending the text, my inner self shakes me up, scolds me and says ‘Are you out of your mind? What is wrong with you?’

I erase the message, and type a new reply – ‘Hey, nothing as of now, but we will go for a party. Surely. We have to. It’s New Year’s.’

No comments:

Post a Comment